Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Being alone

Yesterday I had a revelation about how important it is to have some time alone. My walking partner, Cassie, was unable to walk. I knew I better get out there and hit the pavement anyway...especially after my huge lasagna lunch. So, I headed out with my Ipod and spent close to an hour alone. Think about how often you are truly alone with yourself, I don't mean alone watching tv or alone in the car, but alone with your thoughts. It is really rare for me to be alone. I teach all day and come home to Billy and AnnaKate. I am grateful for the people in my life but time alone is really essential. I was able to do a little mental and emotional house cleaning. Sometimes things get swept to the corners of my mind and I don't deal with them like I should. It felt so good to listen to something other than Laurie Berkner and let my mind wander with the memories that the music holds.

I would never trade my walks with Cassie because our talks are just as therapeutic but I wonder where I can find that same time each day to really be alone. Where do you find the time?

post signature

10 comments:

Anxious AF said...

no time for me!

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

I don't, but I really need to.

Laurie Berkner, great! Now I have that song "Mommy has a cow on her head....She keeps it there all day!!" Thank you! LOL!

Anna said...

It's so important otherwise it's easy to lose sight of things. I try to work it in in little chunks, often while the children are bathing and I'm piddling around the house or while I'm exercising.

Anna said...

Do people use the word exercising anymore?

Holly said...

Shower time is my only alone time...I know what you mean. Time alone is incredible, and priceless at this point in our lives. But later on we may crave all the "togetherness" we have now.

Anonymous said...

When I run. That's why it's so essential to my mental well-being. It's the only true "alone time" I have.

Amanda said...

My drive home- that is a big chunk of time!

Cindy said...

I don't know what "alone" means!

Anonymous said...

My alone time is when Noah goes to bed.. I try to get out and walk or run by myself a few times a week .. So good to be alone sometimes. I crave it a lot..

Melissa said...

I look forward to my time in the morning before the guys get up. That is when I exercise and run through what I need to do that day.